Friday, April 10, 2009

"What are you reading" "Words, words, words."

"Look, you gotta first baseman?"
"Certainly."
"Who's playing first?"
"That's right."
"When you pay off the first baseman, who gets the money?"
"Every dollar."

And that, is idealism and pragmatism.

Because the physical words change, they have no set meaning. But a set meaning exists, and because Abbot and Costello can't agree on the meaning, they cannot communicate. Deconstructionism will tell us that because the words themselves are subjective, meaning is subjective. How pragmatic (philosophical sense)

Just because the objective meaning requires subjective words to be expressed doesn't make the meaning subjective. Just because wood needs a saw to cut it does not mean that the wood is made of metal like the saw is. Just because meaning is expressed through sound does not mean that the sound is the meaning, or that the meaning is the sound.

Which happens more? Does language fail us? Or do we fail to find meaning? Are they the same thing or different? Can meaning ever be fully expressed through language, through music, through art, or will everything that we ever say-play-make fail to communicate meaning completely? "And she never could remember; and ever since that day what Lucy means by a good story is a story which reminds her of the forgotten story in the Magician's Book." The story's which remind Lucy of the forgotten story are not the forgotten story. The words are not the meaning, the art is not the idea, the music is not the thought... but the best words, the best art, the best music is that which reminds us very much of the story we cannot remember.

And the reason that I wish was more musical, or more artistic, or a better writer, is because I know that I am incapable of expressing myself fully. And I long for that which I cannot remember, that which I have only been reminded of. I wish to be super-human. I don't need to fly, I don't need strength, I don't need to light on fire. I want my ideas to fly, I want my thoughts to have strength, and I want the ability to light people's minds on fire. I want to be a super hero. I want to write, paint, build, work, play until I can bring people meaning.

I'll start here.

No comments:

Post a Comment