Saturday, April 11, 2009

Don't judge a book by its movie

Oh, but is the reverse true? Should I judge a movie by its book?

I love soup. Because of The Tale of Despereaux, I love soup. Soup is warm, liquid hope, savory courage, broth-based valor, and more often than not, it has carrots of truth floating in it. The Tale of Despereaux is one of the best standalone storybooks out there (what Narnia is for series, Despereaux is for singles) If I were ever to do NaNoWriMo, I would write with the same style as that book, so that I could boost my word count by saying "Dear Reader" a lot and defining big words. I love that book.

And, they made a movie out of it. And I was all set to hate the movie, and I told my younger brother not to watch it because it would ruin the book for him. I was pleasantly dissapointed. Which is not to say that the movie was anything as good as the book. It was comparatively lame. But, if I hadn't read the book, I think I would have liked it. (except for the hat, that just looked rediculous by any standard) In fact, the hat is not the only exception, the whole movie, I did not like. The cartoon-like animation style, the altered plot. Everything, I disliked because I read the book. Except for one thing. Except for a rat. Because of a rat, I love the movie, because he is not the rat from the book, he is a different rat, and I love him. A rat saved the movie, (it helped that he was voiced by Dustin Hoffman) I love that rat.

No comments:

Post a Comment