Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Questions?

I have to admit, I'm a sucker for the song I Can Only Imagine, it was basically the first song I fell in love with, and it will always hold a special place in my heart. One of the reasons that I liked it was that it explored a side of heaven that I hadn't heard of before. The "heaven is not an encyclopedia" side.

Some times when I'm in a discussion where difficult questions are being asked, people end the conversation by saying something along the lines of "I guess we'll know when we get to heaven." People jokingly say "I'm going to ask (name of apostle) about (name of something in book of the bible)."

Really? 'Cause I've never heard anything about heaven being like some big game of Jeopardy. Obviously, the whole point of the song is that we can't know what heaven will be like. Maybe we have a good idea. I just never thought of heaven as a place where we would even care about finding out who was right about free will, or where it would even matter to us what such and such a verse means. I mean, maybe we'll just know, once we get there. But I don't think it will really matter. I'd like instead to think that heaven is a place where God is, and where we can see him, without fear. I know, in my present state, I couldn't even look at God, much less ask him questions. I think I'd be satisfied if only the first part of that was false in heaven.

2 comments:

  1. This idea still hits me with a slight hint of "yeah...right" to it, but I'll share it anyway, because I'm on the verge of fully fledged belief in it.

    God IS the answer to such questions, when we see the face of God we won't need to ask a question. At the end of "Till We Have Faces" I believe Orual says that she asked a question, but the answer didn't come, the answer WAS the Gods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known.

    That's . . . all I got. I think once we get to heaven we will know all we need to know. Which either means we'll magically understand everything we've ever wondered, [yeah . . . right] or, it just won't matter anymore. I just like to think, if heaven is the culmination of our sanctification, maybe we'll be like Christ in knowledge, too, full of wisdom and not blinded by our sin. Maybe not. It'd be nice, at least.

    ReplyDelete