Sunday, March 13, 2011

Meditations from Ash Wednesday (A few days late)

When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?” They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
~Matthew 16:13-16

When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.” Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.” The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things...."
~John 21:15-17a

I used to think the business of living was to answer the first question. That no mater what else you do with your life, the only lasting thing would be how you answered that question.

Now I wonder if it is the second.

"Will the veiled sister pray for
Those who walk in darkness, who chose thee and oppose thee,
Those who are torn on the horn between season and season, time and time, between
Hour and hour, word and word, power and power, those who wait
In the darkness? Will the veiled sister pray
For the children at the gate
Who will not go away and cannot pray:
Pray for those who chose and oppose"
~from Ash Wednesday, by T.S. Eliot

No comments:

Post a Comment