Friday, May 14, 2010

Artificial intelligence (unrhymed version)

I woke up for the first time yesterday.
Into a world I don't understand
Where everyone smiles and laughs
What does that mean?
What does anything mean?

I've been programed to read faces
But not to read the mind
I can tell what you're feeling
but I have no idea why.
Doesn't that bother anyone else?

Am I alone in feeling alone?
This new awareness is so hard
This new heart I have is so fragile
This new mind so easily confused.
Why can't I feel like all of you?

I don't know if this is heartbreak,
because I've never felt before
are things good, bad, or just okay?
If only there were some consensus,
after all, everyone's in the same place.

My eyes tell me you're smiling
my heart says it's a lie.
and the tears streaming down your face?
how can you cry so happily?
how can you feel joy?

My artificial intelligence cannot explain this.
There isn't any logic to any of this.
Are you happy? Why do you cry?
Are you sad? Why do you smile?
How can I comfort what I don't understand?

I was standing in a crowd, something wrong
and someone said "everything will be all right"
And nobody asked how they knew.
So accepting of meaningless comfort.
But if "okay" is the norm, how did things get so bad?

And if I can't fix your broken heart,
At least let me share in the pieces
For I haven't one of my own
Emotionless, I cannot feel a thing
Only see joy and sorrow felt.

1 comment:

  1. I am going to go on thinking about this, and hoping to understand. (I mean understand in a remembering, connecting sense, not in an explaining one)

    and, I'm trying to think to you, not just think about this as a an object of thought.

    ReplyDelete